Brain Lock, Twentieth Anniversary Edition: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
Publisher: Harper Perennial
ISBN 10: 9780062561435
ISBN 13: 978-0062561435
ISBN 10: 0060391669
ISBN 13: 978-0060391669
The 20th anniversary edition of the definitive classic on defeating obsessive-compulsive behavior, with all-new material from the author.
An estimated 5 million Americans suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and live diminished lives in which they are compelled to obsess about something or to repeat a similar task over and over. Traditionally, OCD has been treated with Prozac or similar drugs. The problem with medication, aside from its cost, is that 30 percent of people treated don't respond to it, and when the pills stop, the symptoms invariably return.
In Brain Lock, Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D., presents a simple four-step method for overcoming OCD that is so effective, it's now used in academic treatment centers throughout the world. Proven by brain-imaging tests to actually alter the brain's chemistry, this method doesn't rely on psychopharmaceuticals. Instead, patients use cognitive self-therapy and behavior modification to develop new patterns of response to their obsessions. In essence, they use the mind to fix the brain.
Using the real-life stories of actual patients, Brain Lock explains this revolutionary method and provides readers with the inspiration and tools to free themselves from their psychic prisons and regain control of their lives.
"A remarkable achievement! This book will make a world of difference in the lives of people with OCD."--Eric Hollander, M.D., Compulsive, Impulsive & Anxiety Disorders Program, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
From the Back Cover
THE TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY EDITION OF THE DEFINITIVE CLASSIC ON DEFEATING OCD, WITH ALL-NEW MATERIAL FROM THE AUTHOR
• Do you perform unnecessary rituals in your daily routine?
• Are you bothered by intrusive fears that don’t really make sense?
• Are you unable to control runaway thoughts?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you may be among the six million Americans who suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), a mental disorder that can wreak havoc in the daily lives of its sufferers and their families.
In Brain Lock, Dr. Jeffrey M. Schwartz, a psychiatrist at the UCLA School of Medicine and a world-renowned expert on OCD, shows you how to:
• Free yourself from obsessive-compulsive behavior! Schwartz’s Four-Step method has helped thousands of people overcome irrational impulses through a process of Relabeling, Reattributing, Refocusing, and Revaluing to defeat their obsessive-
• Change your brain chemistry! Schwartz’s groundbreaking studies have shown that by using his Four-Step program you can “rewire” your brain and modify your genetic disposition.
• Lead a happier, healthier life! Achieve peace of mind as you banish your bothersome OCD symptoms and regain control of your own destiny.