Managing OCD with CBT For Dummies
Publisher: For Dummies
ISBN 10: 1119074142
ISBN 13: 978-1119074144
Break the chains of OCD with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Are you suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)? You're not alone. Whether you've tried countless treatments or are seeking help for the first time, this expert, accessible guide is your beacon of hope for breaking the chains of this crippling disorder. Managing OCD with CBT For Dummies uses mindfulness-based Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to eradicate OCD from your day-to-day life. Through clear and sensitive direction, you'll find out how to identify and correct negative thought patterns, confront your problems with positive solutions and recognise the power of cognitive thinking.
Once a term only used by psychologists and counselors, CBT is now in common use and has become the preferred treatment method for a variety of psychological issues, including anxiety and depression, self-esteem, eating disorders, addiction, and many others. If you're planning on trying it on its own or in conjunction with other types of therapies, you'll be heartened to know that a staggering 75% of people with OCD are significantly helped by CBT―which is why it remains the treatment of choice for tackling the disorder by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).
- Demonstrates how CBT encourages new thinking patterns to combat destructive thought tendencies
- Explains the causes and symptoms of OCD
- Shows you how to use CBT to modify everyday thoughts and behaviours with the aim of positively influencing your emotions
- Illustrates the importance of facing your fears and offers positive strategies on exposure therapy
There's no need to let OCD continue to control your life. This how-to guide helps you break down the negative patterns that have been keeping you hostage―and allows you to build a positive future free of the hold of OCD.
From the Back Cover
- Combat your OCD one day at a time
- Understand exposure and response prevention
- Map your own OCD experiences
- Create a brighter future
Remove the restraints of OCD―and get your life back!
Based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, this how-to guide helps you break the patterns that have been holding you hostage ― and helps you build a future free of OCD. Through clear and sensitive direction, you'll discover how to identify and correct negative thought patterns, confront your problems with positive solutions and recognise the power of cognitive thinking.
- All about OCD ― understand what obsessions and compulsions are, whether you have OCD and how CBT helps you conquer your OCD
- Get started with solutions ― get to know your triggers, make sense of how obsessions work, dispel common beliefs about thoughts and understand why your beliefs and behaviours stop you getting on with your life
- Put yourself in charge ― learn how to live life by your values, not your OCD ― and take advantage of available resources and support systems
- Face your fears ― find the scoop on exposure and response prevention and design your own exercises for successful ERP
Open the book and find:
- How to map your own OCD experiences
- Why behavioural compulsions don't help
- The importance of exercise, diet and sleep in slaying the OCD beast
- Ideas for dealing with different types of OCD
- Guidance on building your OCD-free life
- Tips on seeking therapy and using medication
- Commonly asked questions about OCD
About the Author
Katie d'Ath is a CBT therapist with a special interest in treating OCD. She has a private practice in Central London. Rob Willson is a CBT therapist and author in private practice in North London. He has been helping people overcome OCD for over 20 years.