Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies
Publisher: For Dummies
ISBN 10: 0470574410
ISBN 13: 978-0470574416
Practical, proven ways to get fear, worry, and panic under control
Think you worry too much? You're not alone?over 40 million Americans suffer from some form of anxiety. Help is here in this friendly guide, which offers sound advice on identifying anxiety triggers through taking self-tests, improving your eating habits, relaxing, and finding support for you and your loved ones.
Now with 25% new and revised content, Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, 2nd Edition explores all of the most common triggers for anxiety, recent developments in medications, newly emerging biologically oriented approaches for treating anxiety, and the most up-to-date advancements in psychotherapies.
- Understand why you?re anxious and pinpoint your triggers
- Get trusted advice on whether you can overcome anxiety on your own or seek professional help
- Covers anxiety in teens, young adults, and veterans
The practical information in Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies, 2nd Edition is your first step toward getting your life back and winning the war against your worries!
From the Back Cover
- Get fear, worry, and panic under control
- Identify your anxiety triggers
- Cope with situations that cause anxiety
- Take advantage of the latest treatments and medications
Get over your anxiety and create a calmer, more peaceful life
Job loss, natural disasters, terrorism ― with so many things to worry about today, your anxiety levels can easily skyrocket. This engaging guide is packed with techniques you can use immediately to overcome your worries and gain control of your life. You'll pinpoint your triggers, discover the latest therapies, and make lifestyle changes that will have you feeling better fast.
- Understand anxiety ― learn about the main types of anxiety, the toll it takes on your body, and how to break through roadblocks to change
- Meet your anxiety head on ― see how to transform anxious thoughts into calm ones, challenge your assumptions, and avoid "worry words"
- Attack anxiety with biology ― discover the pros and cons of medications and explore the latest biological alternatives for alleviating anxiety
- Let go of the battle ― improve your diet, exercise, and sleep habits; create calm in your imagination; and find peace through mindfulness
- Zero in on specific worries ― assess actual vs. imagined risks in today's world, prepare for unexpected calamities, and design a health action plan
- Help others who have anxiety ― recognize the signs in friends or family, assist anxious children, and offer support with love and without blame
Open the book and find:
- Common symptoms of anxiety
- Action steps for conquering your fears
- Examples to illustrate concepts
- Breathing and muscle exercises to help you relax
- Methods for accepting uncertainty in life
- Strategies for helping kids with anxiety
- Tips for stopping anxiety fast
- Ten ways to handle relapse
- Signs you should seek professional help
About the Author
Charles H. Elliott, PhD, and Laura L. Smith, PhD, are clinical psychol-ogists who specialize in the treatment of anxiety and mood disorders. They are the authors of several For Dummies books, including Borderline Personality Disorder For Dummies and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder For Dummies.