Psychology For Dummies
Publisher: For Dummies
ISBN 10: 1118603591
ISBN 13: 978-1118603598
Understand why you feel and act the way you do
Psychology For Dummies is a fun, user-friendly guide to the basics of human behavior and mental processes. In plain English―and using lots of everyday examples―psychologist Dr. Adam Cash cuts through the jargon to explain what psychology is all about and what it tells you about why you do the things you do.
With this book as your guide, you'll: gain profound insights into human nature; understand yourself better; make sense of individual and group behaviors; explore different approaches in psychology; recognize problems in yourself and others; make informed choices when seeking psychological counseling; and much more.
- Shows you how understanding human psychology can help you make better decisions, avoid things that cause stress, manage your time to a greater degree, and set goals
- Helps you make informed choices when seeking psychological counseling
- Serves as an invaluable supplement to classroom learning
From Freud to forensics, anorexia to xenophobia, Psychology For Dummies takes you on a fascinating journey of self discovery.
From the Back Cover
- Understand why you feel and act the way you do
- Grasp human behavior and mental processes
- Discover what psychology is all about
Take a fascinating journey of discovery through the science of psychology
Psychology For Dummies is a fun, user-friendly guide to the basics of human behavior and mental processes. In plain English ― and using lots of everyday examples ― psychologist Dr. Adam Cash cuts through the jargon to explain what psychology is all about and what it tells you about why you do the things you do. From B. F. Skinner to bipolar disorder, anorexia to xenophobia, Psychology For Dummies takes you on a fascinating journey of self-discovery.
- Psychology 101 ― discover the scientific nature of psychology, the different approaches psychologists use to investigate and understand people, and the ethical guidelines that psychologists are expected to use
- Make sense of psychology ― get an introduction to the brain and its parts, the concept of conscious awareness and its role in psychology, and the senses that permit us to stay in contact with the world around us
- Between me and you ― find out how well you know yourself, how you developed an identity, the ways you form relationships, and how you communicate
- The nuts and bolts ― get the latest on contemporary approaches to abnormal psychology, including neuropsychological and cognitive explanations for anxiety disorders, depression, schizophrenia, and more
Open the book and find:
- An intro to psychological testing and assessment
- Important contributions to the field of psychology
- The principles of how humans learn
- Different approaches and goals of therapies
- Info on the relationship between psychological and physical health
- The influence of society on group behavior
- Advice on maintaining good psychological health
About the Author
Adam Cash, PsyD, is Clinical Director of Specialized Psychology Solutions, a child psychology clinic specializing in behavior, learning, development, and autism spectrum disorders. He has taught at the community college and university levels and also worked as a forensic psychologist.