The End of Mental Illness: How Neuroscience Is Transforming Psychiatry and Helping Prevent or Reverse Mood and Anxiety Disorders, ADHD, Addictions, PTSD, Psychosis, Personality Disorders, and More
Publisher: Tyndale Momentum
ISBN 10: 1496438159
ISBN 13: 978-1496438157
New hope for those suffering from conditions like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, addictions, PTSD, ADHD and more.
Though incidence of these conditions is skyrocketing, for the past four decades standard treatment hasn’t much changed, and success rates in treating them have barely improved, either. Meanwhile, the stigma of the “mental illness” label―damaging and devastating on its own―can often prevent sufferers from getting the help they need.
Brain specialist and bestselling author Dr. Daniel Amen is on the forefront of a new movement within medicine and related disciplines that aims to change all that. In The End of Mental Illness, Dr. Amen draws on the latest findings of neuroscience to challenge an outdated psychiatric paradigm and help readers take control and improve the health of their own brain, minimizing or reversing conditions that may be preventing them from living a full and emotionally healthy life.
The End of Mental Illness will help you discover:
- Why labeling someone as having a “mental illness” is not only inaccurate but harmful
- Why standard treatment may not have helped you or a loved one―and why diagnosing and treating you based on your symptoms alone so often misses the true cause of those symptoms and results in poor outcomes
- At least 100 simple things you can do yourself to heal your brain and prevent or reverse the problems that are making you feel sad, mad, or bad
- How to identify your “brain type” and what you can do to optimize your particular type
- Where to find the kind of health provider who understands and uses the new paradigm of brain health
The End of Mental Illness is a radical new way to overhaul psychiatry. . . . My family has benefited from Dr. Amen’s work, and I hope you will too. -- Mark Hyman, MD, Director, Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine
From the Back Cover
The end of mental illness begins with a revolution in brain health.
Though the incidence of conditions like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorders, addictions, PTSD, and ADHD is skyrocketing, standard treatment and success rates in treating these conditions have barely changed in the last seven decades. Meanwhile, the stigma of “mental illness” prevents many people from getting the help they need.
Based on his brain-imaging work at Amen Clinics, with more than 170,000 scans on patients from 121 countries, neuroscientist and psychiatrist Daniel Amen, MD, has learned that most psychiatric illnesses are not mental health issues at all. Rather, they are brain health issues that steal your mind. This one idea changes everything: Get your brain right and your mind will follow.
In The End of Mental Illness, Dr. Amen challenges an outdated psychiatric paradigm and helps readers improve the health of their own brains, minimizing or reversing conditions that may be preventing them from living full and emotionally healthy lives.
- what is causing the epidemic rise of mental health issues and how to prevent them
- why standard treatments often fail, and why diagnosing and treating patients based on symptoms alone often misses the true cause of those symptoms, resulting in poor outcomes
- simple things you can do to heal your brain and improve your mood, focus, energy, and overall sense of happiness
From the flap:
There is new hope for those dealing with anxiety, depression, bipolar disorders, PTSD, ADHD, and addictions.
An evidence-based revolution in the diagnosis and treatment of these conditions is improving outcomes for the first time in decades, and Daniel Amen, MD, neuroscientist and double board–certified psychiatrist, is helping to lead the charge.
In The End of Mental Illness, Dr. Amen explains why you no longer have to rely solely on standard treatments offered by experts trained according to an old paradigm. While medication and talk therapy are sometimes helpful and appropriate, there is much you can do to improve your own brain health. And more and more practitioners are using evidence-based neuroscience to help their patients.
The End of Mental Illness will:
- give you hope that we are on the cusp of a whole new paradigm of treating issues like depression, anxiety, ADHD, bipolar disorder, personality disorders, and even schizophrenia
- explain why standard treatment may not have helped you or a loved one be healed, or truly healed for the long-term
- teach you how to contribute to your own brain healing and prevent or reverse the problems that are stealing your mind
- show you how to keep your brain healthy or rescue it if it’s headed toward a dark place
Daniel G. Amen, MD, is a physician, a double board–certified psychiatrist, the founder of Amen Clinics, a 10-time New York Times bestselling author, and the recipient of the John Maxwell Transformational Leadership Award for 2019. Dr. Amen has written, produced, and hosted 14 popular public television shows about the brain that have aired more than 110,000 times across North America. He has spoken for the National Security Agency, and his work has been featured in outlets including Newsweek, Time magazine, HuffPost, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and Men’s Health.